Sunday


"People are like stained-glass windows.They sparkle when the sun is out,but when the darkness sets in,their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within. "
~Elisabeth Kubler-Ross~

It is such a wonderful day. Nice, warm and inviting. It's almost impossible to resist not to go outside and enjoy the day. I know that in some parts of the world it's still gloomy and cold. Lucky for us on this side of the globe.

But on our attempt to seize the day, we got caught in the middle of an aftermath of a car accident. We were cruising down Pionono Avenue, from a distance I could see that there was a car wrecked that has just have been cleaned up. The tow truck was on the side of the road. There was a police officer on the side of the street just behind the tow truck. I could see that the other cars kept moving and the officer wasn't directing the traffic. Suddenly, he extended his arms with a hand signal the index and the middle finger out. J kept moving and even fast. He couldn't have seen him since he was at the side of the road. But to me, he was visible but his hand signal was not clear to me whether he meant "stop" or not. The window of the car on the passenger side was open so, we were able to hear him shout "stop!" He came over on my side of the window and yelled " Didn't you see me letting somebody out?". He was referring to the tow truck. He then yelled some more "Pull over on side!" We pulled over on the side of the street and waited. He continued what he was doing then came over and asked for J's driver's license and insurance. J, brought out the document. The officer got them and went to his car. It took him a few minutes to come back, probably checked J's driving records and came back with a ticket. I was a little pissed off about it. It's probably a minor offense but I just hate being caught in a situation at the wrong place and wrong time. I was about to scold J but I just let it go. I didn't want to upset him even more. It was my idea to go out anyway. For some reason he was just following the cars in front of us and probably didn't see the officer signaling vaguely for us to stop. And I have learned not to argue with police officers because it just mounts up the offense. I just hope that he was really doing the right hand signal. To me, it wasn't the regular traffic hand signal for "stop". But still we got a ticket. He probably checked J's records and didn't find anything and was a little bit apologetic when he handed back J's documents, but I was bothered. It's probably a gray area, but I'm gonna take this incident as a lesson to find out the ordinances or laws about involving such situations. I'm sure J didn't intentionally just run over a stop signal by a police officer. It happened so fast. I don't even know why J chose to take that short cut. That was our first time to cruise on that street. It only shows that anything could happen. Sometimes people are just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

And now I keep thinking about the whole incident all afternoon. It felt like we were big offenders even if the offense was just very minor. But I am probably just shaken by what happened. It is very rare to be pulled over by a uniformed officer. I should probably stop thinking about it since we didn't intentionally ignore him. I still think that we shouldn't have been issued a ticket. I would like to think that he was just doing his job. And not just feeling a big authority with his big head on top of his shoulder. I grew up in a place where cops have a reputation of being filthy and corrup, so it is hard for me to think greatly of cops. I hope that in this situation, this certain cop was merely doing his job since we got caught in a not so common situation.

====0000====

Each one of us has his or her handicap. It may not always be physical. I have worked with some kids who maybe slow in some aspects but intellectually gifted. I admit I have my own handicap. There's this boy named Alex at work, he is autistic, but he is very intellectual. He could memorize the driving direction even if he had been there once. He could be very funny too. Sometimes, just watching some of these kids do the innocent things is priceless. They could be the best comedians in their own way and doesn't even know it. But they are also very sneaky and clever. One time, I was wondering why Nick was wearing his sweater even if he was sweating. It was hot and sunny and he had been running around. I asked him to take off his sweater only to find out that he was wearing a shirt he is not allowed to use to school. He had been hiding it all along. And I wasn't even suspecting anything. They are just funny to me. Smart and clever too. I am sometimes captivated because some of the little boys are just so cute and adorable. But they could be so defiant too. It's rare to see a nice whole package. I had been thinking what my children to be would be like. It's just wishful thinking, you know. I would sit there watch them and would wish that I might one day have a kid as cute and as nice as one of these kids. It's still hard for me to comprehend how is it like to be e mother. That day will come. Just one day, one of these days.

====0000====

I feel so much better to have finally talked with Vee after a long silence. It was actually a sort of miscommunication. I had been trying to reach her in the past months but wasn't able to. I thought she had been hanging up on me because she picks up the phone, I could hear her saying "hello" but she doesn't seem to hear me. I was able to reach her through another person on her cell phone and it turned out she had been trying to call me. Only she kept dialing the wrong number and that their phone was messed up. It had been months but I didn't give up. I wrote her letters after letters until she finally got my last letter. It was just that feeling that I was being ignored that hurt me. But it turned out, she had been trying to reach me too. It really feels better knowing that a person whom you consider a true friend is out there from distance. There's a lot of catching up to do, but it's okay. It feels like there's so much things to share, so much stories to talk about but there's not enough time. It's kinda' hard to fill in the gap in between now and then. But I guess the only thing to do is to keep moving on. And just look back to those days that are fun and memorable. I know that there are a lot of things that could happen to anyone's life. Sometimes unbelievable, sometimes amazing, sometimes sad. But things change, people change and change keeps changing. It's just wonderful that there are friends, to share the sorrows, the happy moments and not so happy moments. Sometimes having friends is already a great blessing. Sometimes, it's just so hard to find the people whom you can call a friend. They come rarely in life. Treasure them and try not to lose them. They are treasures one could have in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home