Sunday


Cheer me up please. I must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I feel very gloomy for no reason at all. Well, I guess it's one of those morning sickness. No, I am not pregnant. That's not what I mean. Don't you have those days when you get up and you feel sunny and cheerful but there are days that you wake up like there's some black hole at the pit of your stomach? That's what I feel right now. A black, hollow feeling inside. Ahhh! just one of those days I guess.

====0000====

I am treating myself with Arroz Caldo. It's actually Spanish; Arroz for rice and caldo means hot. It is the Pinoy version of the Chinese "congee". Me and my aunt used to make congee a lot way back when I was in HK. It's very similar to the Filipino Arroz Caldo with slight variation. It's rice porridge with strips of chicken or any meat you'd like to use. The Chinese congee uses some chinese vegetables. The Arroz caldo they don't use a lot of vegetables just onions, garlic and ginger. Anyway, I made Arroz caldo my own version. I have added pieces of vegetables. But I have put a lot of rice, so now, I have a potful of Arroz caldo. I also used patis to season it. Well, it doesn't taste so much as the Arroz caldo I know, but close. I think I just need to practice. My father use to make tasty Arroz caldo especially if he uses the native chickens. I really miss his cooking.And speaking of native chickens, those are my favorites compared to the white chicken you buy at the meat store. I don't know if people sell them in the meat stores too, but most of these native chickens are raised. When I say native chickens, these are the colorful ones like the roosters. I grew up eating native chickens because my parents raise some chickens and so are my grandparents. My parents live in the province not in the city that's why they are able to raise animals. I could still remember when I was growing up, early in the morning the roosters would crow very early in the morning about 4:30 to 5:00 in the morning and there's no way one could stay asleep once the roosters and dogs start to make noise at the same time. I remember we had like three dogs that would bark at every person that pass by our house. It could be annoying sometimes especially at night when you're trying to sleep. I remember J,got so pissed off when we went to visit. "I'm gonna break these rooster's necks if they don't stop crowing" he muttered with desperation. More so when the dogs started barking and young kids souting "pan de sal!" joined in the chorus with the tricycle booming in the background.I can't wait to visit home again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home