Monday

On being a bookworm

To love to read is to exchange hours of ennui for hours of delight
~Baron de Montesquieu~
French political philosopher, 1689-1755

Reading could be so much fun. I remember the first time I started reading, I was in the 6th grade. I would watch my elder sister Marlyn read a fiction book. She would flip the pages after pages. I was so curious how she could read all those pages and chapters. So I borrowed on of her pocket fiction books and started reading. It was a challenge at that time. I was trying to read as many pages as she could. It was more like a contest to me. She didn't even know that I was racing her. Of course she won. But from then on I started reading books after books. I read maybe all the series of Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew and Sweet Valley High. I was also very fond of Sidney Sheldon when I first read one of his books. I have read all his books. Then of course Dannielle Steele and Harold Robbins,Thomas Harris, the author of Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal and Red Dragon. The X-files too is one of my favorites. And Robbin Cook's books I have read most of them. I have started Banana Yoshimoto
recommended by a friend. I love motivational books like the Road less traveled, Don't sweat the small stuff, Chicken Soup for the Soul, books by Vincent Peale. I have enjoyed reading this book given by a friend "If it hurts, it isn't love." Books by Alan Loy McGinis. And many other books which authors I can't remember. I love Reader's Digest, Psychology Today, Good Housekeeping, Times and of course the newspaper.

They say that reading is a way of exercising the brain muscles. It's sharpening the mind when it comes to vocabularies, comprehension and imagination. Sometimes I prefer reading than watching a movie. It's more vivid for me to read than to watch the movie, if there's a movie based on the book. There's so much worlds to be discovered at the pages and chapters of books. It's almost being able to live in a dreamland and discover the secrets of other worlds and cultures too.One could travel time and back just by reading. It's even better that the advance technology is giving more options of reading and listening to whatever human interests. You could just surf the internet and there you go, you could read right there without having to flip any books. And of course there's the audio books, just play them and listen.

So, there's a lot of benefits of reading. Aside from intellectual pursuit and learning, reading is also important in understanding a certain field of study. Just read, read and read.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home