Wednesday

A friend is, as it were, a second self. ~Marcus Tullius Cicero~

Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief.
~Marcus Tullius Cicero~

One thing I miss back home is being able to "mangapit-bahay" (chitchatting/hanging around with neighbors). Friends can be found everywhere, but in the Philippines you could meet people and make friends easily. People hang out with thier nieghbors as part of the family. I remember I used to make some Filipino food and bring some to the next door nieghbor and hang out. Just chatting or just doing stuff.Of course people still do that here in the Us but not as much because of the busy life. People does not necessarily meet a lot of people because most of the time they are in thier cars or in thier homes. I have a co-worker, a Korean guy who has an uncle in the Philippines and he said that if he were to choose, he would love to live and stay in the Philippines because he could make a lot of friends there. He finds Philippines a nicer place to live compared to living in the US.

One thing I miss is the slower pace of life in the Philippines. Here in the US, people are always in a hurry. It's like work, work, work is the life here. People has to pay years of mortgages, car insurances,bills, bills, bills never ending bills months after months. It's so much into paying bills and not enough time to enjoy life. Well, anyway that's just my observations. That's why people does not have time anymore to socialize and meet thier nieghbors because they are always busy. Often times they don't even know thier nieghbors. It seems that people here doesn't even want to meet and hang around with nieghbors. It's the total opposite of what I was brought up to.

Let's go back to our topic on friends. Can miles truly separate you from friends....If you want to be with someone you love, aren't you already there?
~Richard Bach~

Sometimes I feel like the distance have separated me with my friends. In spirit of course I always want to reach to them and bond with them. But the distance has worn out the bond that was built for many years. After long years, it seems that we are strangers to each other. beliefs, cultures have changed and it's hard to reach out and meet halfway.I long for the day to be able to go to where they are and meet them physically and see what happened to thier lives, to see the changes in them and thier lives. I'm sure even the place, my town has a lot of changes. People growing up, new kids brought up, cultures evolved and a lot of changes. It would be fascinating to be back home and see the changes after years of being away.

I was watching star treck and I was fascinated about thier technology in the show where they could beam themselves and go to another planet. It would be very nice to have that technology at present. I would be able to beam myself right to my hometown for a day, then be back in a few minutes in the US.That would be perfect. But I wonder when will they ever make that technology possible. Maybe in my second lifetime. Meanwhile, I just keep dreaming at this present lifetime.




1 Comments:

At 11:04 PM , Anonymous Juan Lakad said...

I like the manumbalay he he before I will also go to neighbors house to chit chat also drink tuba coconut wine or drink beer he he

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home